Our Mission

Ensuring the integrity of the University’s Financial Accounting and Reporting System,  the validity and appropriateness of financial transactions recorded and reported therein, compliance with laws, regulations, policies and contract requirements applicable to accounting and reporting, and the completeness, fairness, and timeliness of disclosures and financial reports that are provided to oversight bodies, taxing authorities, financial institutions, bond trustees, benefactors, creditors, customers, the public, the General Assembly, the University’s Board of Trustees, the University of North Carolina Office of the President, campus units and other internal or external parties.

Our News

University-Sanctioned Travel To 2019-nCoV Impacted Areas
As of January 27, CDC considers all of China a Restricted Travel Area. Therefore, NC State is prohibiting University-sponsored travel by faculty, students, and staff to the entire country and may further restrict travel based on CDC recommendations. Accordingly, NC State University will not authorize, award credit or funds, nor reimburse travel expenses for any activities involving travel to or in the affected areas…more

New Mileage Rate
Effective January 1, 2020, the Office of State Budget and Management decreased the mileage reimbursement rate for official university business from 58 cents per mile to 57.50 cents when the round trip mileage does not exceed 100 miles per trip…more

Mobile Communication Device (MCD) Allowance Re-Certification for 2020 
It is time to re-certify your Mobile Communication Device (MCD) allowance for calendar year 2020.
The Mobile Communication Device Procedures and Allowance Request Form are posted on the Controller’s Office website.

Please complete the following steps to re-certify your MCD allowance for calendar year 2020:

  • Complete the Mobile Communication Device Allowance Request Form (Revised 11/2019) and obtain the required employee and approval signatures. This form must be completed to request an allowance for an employee-owned device and to document approval of a university-owned device.  The Allowance Template is no longer required.  The applicable fields were added to the MCD form.
  • Copy your most recent cell phone bill.  The phone bill must be in the employee’s name and/or address and include the amounts billed for voice and/or data.
  • Email the Mobile Communication Device Allowance Request Form and Cell Phone Bill to cell_phone_forms@ncsu.edu by December 16, 2019.  

The re-certification process is required.  If you do not re-certify by December 16, 2019, you will not receive an allowance payment in January 2020. 

New Travel Subsistence Rates
Effective July 1, 2019, the Office of State Budget and Management will increase the per diem subsistence rates for in-state and out-of-state travel….more

Relocation Allowance
Effective January 1, 2018 moving expense reimbursements are fully taxable as income. As a result of this change to the tax law, NC State is providing the following relocation allowance guidelines to provide greater flexibility to the University and its employees…more.

Third-Party / Non-Commercial Lodging Policy Reminder 
Reimbursement or direct payment for lodging in an establishment that is being rented out by a third-party or an establishment treated as an apartment building by state or local law or regulation is not allowed unless approved in advance by the University Controller’s Office, as delegated by the Office of State Budget and Management. Non-commercial lodging includes any lodging option that is not a commercially licensed hotel, hostel, or government/university dorm. Non-commercial lodging can be found on websites such as Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO, and Hotels.com. These open marketplaces have numerous listing; however, many of the properties are not legal rentals according to city, county, state, or country property and zoning law. As a state agency, university paid expenses must follow all applicable laws and ordinances.

This policy applies to all payment methods including direct payments to vendors, p-card payments, and personal reimbursements.

If an employee does not secure approval prior to their travel start date, the employee will assume the financial liability of the Third Party / Non-Commercial lodging expense if it cannot be approved. Unauthorized p-card costs must be reimbursed back to the university. State funds can not be used for requests submitted after the travel start date.

Full policy details may be found by visiting Lodging in Non-Commercial Lodging Establishments webpage.