Skip to content
University Controller's Office
Think and Do The Extraordinary
The Campaign for NC State
Think and Do The Extraordinary
The Campaign for NC State
Code of Conduct & Ethics
The Travel Center
Capital Asset Management
The University Annual Financial Reports
Financial Reporting and Reconciliation
For Faculty & Staff
For Payroll Coordinators
Resources & Forms
Accounting System Information
Capital Assets (CAMS) Q&A
Promotional Items Q&A
Sales Tax Exemption Q&A
4% Withholding Q&A
Guidelines & References
Policies & Procedures
Monitoring Tools & Reports
Accounts Payable Training
Capital Asset Management (CAMS) Training
Cash Management Training
Financial System Tutorials
WRS (Wolfpack Reporting System) Training
This questionnaire is made up of 9 individual links below. Please complete each applicable link and click “Submit Questionnaire” once you have finished. A copy of the questionnaire is NOT stored. If you close your browser before submitting, all information will be lost. A completed questionnaire will be sent to the University Controller's Office and a copy will also be emailed to the contact email address.
Step 1 of 5 - Contact Information
A. Trade or Buisness
1. Is this activity generating revenue from the sale of goods or the performance of services?
1. A If yes, approximately how much revenue was generated by the activity during the fiscal year?(unrelated sales only)
Please enter a number from
2. Is the activity conducted with the primary purpose of generating a profit?
2.A If yes, please describe how the activity generates a profit for the organization:
3. Who are the purchasers of the goods or services? Please be specific (i.e. students, faculty/staff, alumni, general public, specialized groups)
4. Fully describe the activity performed by the operating unit. Please include a description of the goods or services and the reason(s) for offering these goods or services for sale.
B. Regularly Carried On
1. Is this activity conducted on a "regular" (i.e., year-round, periodic, seasonal, etc.) basis?
1.A If yes, indicate when and the frequency with which the activity is performed.
1.B If no, explain why the activity is NOT conducted on a regular basis.
1.C If no, when and for what reason(s) is the activity conducted?
C. Substantially Related to the Exempt Purpose
1. Does the income earned through the activity contribute to the University's exempt purpose?
1.A If yes, explain how the activity enhances, furthers, or in any way relates to the exempt purpose of the University.
2. Are the students participating in the activity as part of a REQUIRED learning experience? If yes, does the experience earn the student credit towards a degree?
2.A If yes, explain the instructional nature of the duties and tasks assigned to the students.
3. Does faculty or staff participation assist in the overall accomplishment of the exempt purpose of the university/agency?
3.A If yes, explain how.
A. Volunteer Labor
1. Are unpaid volunteers (students or non-students) participating in the revenue generating activity?
If yes, describe the duties or tasks assigned to the volunteers and indicate the percentage of total effort attributable to the volunteer avtivity.
B Convenience of University/Agency Members
1. Is the activity performed for the convenience of students, faculty, or staff?
a. If yes, describe the duties or tasks assigned to the volunteers and indicate the percentage of total effort attributable to the volunteer activity?
2. Indicate the percentage of total revenues attributable to each group of users:
3. Is the activity conducted in a remote location which is relatively inaccessible to the general public?
If Yes please explain
C. Donated Merchandise
1. Does the activity involve the sale of donated good?
If yes, indicate the percentage.
A. Royalties and Commissions
1. Does the activity generate revenue from royalties, i.e. does the activity generate income from licensing a non-University person or entity to market property belonging to the University?
a. If yes, please forward a copy of any royalty, commission or other applicable contract for review.
Send copy of contracts and legal agreements to Dwaine Cook and Paige Bates
2. Is the royalty income derived in part from the performance of services?
a. If yes, please explain.
3. Does the activity generate income to the University in the form of commissions or a percentage of income from the sale of a non-University entity's goods or services (e.g. a percentage of sales of outside company's pizza, magazine subscription, etc.?)
a. If yes, describe the goods or services being sold, the payment arrangements, the non-University person or entity involved, and who markets the goods or services
1. Real Property Rents
a. Does the activity generate revenue from real property (i.e. land and/or buildings?
b. Is the amount of rent based on income or profits derived from the property?
c. If yes, please attach the rental arrangement or contract.
Send copy of contract or legal agreements to Dwaine Cook and Paige Bates
2. Real and Personal Property Rents
a. Is revenue collected for the combined rental of real property (land, building, or space) and personal property (equipment, furniture, etc.?)
b. If yes, indicate the percentage of total rents received attributable to the real and personal property in field below.
c. Describe the type of real and personal property rented, the person or group to whom the property is rented, and the purpose for which the property is rented.
3. Rendering of Services
a. Does the activity provide for tenant services (e.g., maid, food, janitorial, security, etc.) in connection with the real property?
b. If yes, describe the nature and extent of the services (listed above) rendered to the tenants.
a. If the answer to 1a or 1b is yes, is the rent or lease received for the use of debt-financed property (e.g. property acquired through the use of indebtedness, with a current balance outstanding)?
b. If yes describe the following:
Date of Acquisition:
Original Amount of Debt:
Expected date of retirement of debt:
c. Indicate the percentage make-up of individuals who occupy the debt-financing property on an annualized basis: Students, Faculty/Staff employees, Other Departments, Non-University Tenants
C. Sponsored Research
1. Describe the person or entity for whom research is performed for a fee, and whether a governmental or other agency is involved.
2. Is the research an investigative activity done to validate a scientific hypothesis in which the University is interested, the results are made freely available to the general public?
a. If yes, briefly describe the intellectual questions posed, how these are being explored, and how the results are publicized.
1. Are the goods or services technically advanced, unique, or unavailable within a reasonable distance?
a. If yes, please describe the nature of the goods or services and why it is necessary or desirable for the University to offer these goods or services for sale.